the IT city, the I.T. Baby


Incoming: four teeth at once

Allways with the teethJust a post on what’s going on, nothing to read here. So Maggie’s been out of it or in a bad mood for the past few days. She seemed to managed three canine teeth coming in without too much ado but when the fourth one started coming in it seemed the pain got to a point where she’s not a happy camper.

She just wants to be held constantly, not sleep, cries when put down, grabs at her mouth or is always pointing where it’s hurting. She’s been on baby drugs and Hyland Teething Tablets for about three or four days. The drugs don’t seem to have as much effect as they used to (although this is four teeth at once,) but the teething tablets do seem to be causing baby to act drugged/sleepy.

Monday night she did not sleep more than 40 minutes at a stretch, this was one of the few times in recent memory I’ve been awake over 24 hours, and I was not particularly fond of it. The next morning we just waited from 4:50-5:50 and then got in the car and I dropped her off at daycare when they opened so I could theoretically get an hour or two of sleep.

That didn’t happen.

When we got her back from daycare she’d evidently been a grump, although the teachers just expressed how different she was but not in a bad way. Wanting to go to sleep, going to bed immediately, etc. My belief is she was too tired to do much more than toddle through the day.

Next night the same cycle started up. Sleep for 30-40, wake up crying, pass out in arms. We had her upstairs with us for a while until she started baby kung-fu fighting. She’s an adorable sleeper but at some point she decides everything MUST go. This unfortunately includes us. This involves kicking, headbutting, and claws out baby fighting.

By three or four AM I was too tired to handle this any more, so I turned off the audio monitor, put her in her crib, and let her express her unhappiness. Felt a little sad and angry with the situation, but even with the audio monitor off I heard the wailing upstairs.

I’d watch her on the Foscam, she was just sitting down, would pop out the pacifier and sound like she was abandoned and dying, pop it back in and play with a doll, repeat for the next hour and a half.

She passed out before I did and when I got up she was not awake yet,

Last night the cycle started again. I left her there for 20 minutes or so and checked back in, sat in the room with her a bit but did not take her out. Finally left her to the wailing and moaning but last night she didn’t have much sadness and seemed more irate, so it was a bit easier leaving her in her crib.

I slept last night, woke up in a panic at one point because I thought I heard her screaming (it was a train,) but she was out. This morning she got up before me and when I got in she was pointing at her mouth – pretty sure this was the “I’m in pain large person,” sign rather than I want food, but she did down a bottle in record time.

Paul King

Paul King lives in Nashville Tennessee with his wife, two daughters and cats. He writes for Pocketables, theITBaby, and is an IT consultant along with doing tech support for a film production company.