Angelcare recalls Movement and Sound Baby Monitors after two deaths
Angelcare has recalled a series of their baby movement monitors after two reported deaths. The monitors were recalled due to a strangulation hazard, and a repair kit is evidently the solution besides keeping the wire as far away from baby as is possible.
Edit: I realized a bit after reading this the two deaths were over the course of nine years and some choking issues more recently, so freakout level can go slightly down a notch.
This hits pretty close to home as the models included include our monitor… so yeah.
As long as you keep the cord out of reach you should be fine for the short term, but go ahead and contact (text lifted directly from the cspc) Angelcare at (855) 355-2643 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, e-mail at[email protected] or online at http://www.angelcarebaby.com and click on the safety notice section of the website for more information.
Most of this article is lifted from the CPSC, you can read it here in full detail.
The CPSC states (long quote I’m ripping off their page, don’t have time to shorten it up, nothing original follows):
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), in cooperation with Angelcare Monitors Inc.®, of Quebec, Canada, is announcing a voluntary recall to provide cord covers for 600,000 Angelcare Movement and Sound Monitors with Sensor Pads. The cord attached to the baby monitor’s sensor pad is placed under the crib mattress, which poses a strangulation risk if the child pulls the cord into the crib and it becomes wrapped around the neck.
Angelcare and CPSC have received reports of two infant cord strangulation deaths. In November 2011, a 13-month-old female died in San Diego, California, and, in August 2004, an 8-month-old female died in Salem, Oregon. In both fatalities, the cord from the sensor pads was pulled into the crib by the infant. In addition, there have been two reports of infants who became entangled in cords of Angelcare baby monitor models, which did not result in fatalities. In these incidents, it could not be determined if the “sensor pad cord” or the “monitor cord” was involved in the incident.
The recall involves the Movement and Sound Monitor manufactured by Angelcare. This design of baby monitor includes a unique sensor pad placed inside the crib, under the mattress, to monitor movement of the baby. An electrical cord about 11 feet long is permanently connected from the sensor pad to the nursery monitor unit. The hazard is created by a cord within reach of a baby inside the crib. The cord can be pulled into the crib and can wrap around the child’s neck. The recall involves all versions of Angelcare sensor monitors including model numbers: AC1100, AC201, AC300, AC401 AC601 and 49255 that did not include rigid cord covers, offered in the remedy. The model number is located on the back of the nursery monitor unit. The monitors were manufactured between 1999 and 2013.
Angelcare is providing consumers with a repair kit that includes rigid protective cord covers through which the sensor pad cords can be threaded, a new, permanent electric cord warning label about the strangulation risk, and revised instructions.
The recalled baby monitors were sold at Babies R Us/Toys R Us, Burlington Coat Factory, Meijer, Sears, Walmart, Amazon.com, Target.com, Overstock.com, and nearly 70 small baby specialty stores, from October 1999 through September 2013 for about $100to $300.
Consumers should immediately make sure cords are placed out of reach of the child and contact Angelcare toll-free at (855)355-2643 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or visit the firm’s website atwww.angelcarebaby.com to order the free repair kit.
CPSC Safety Alert Campaign on Monitor Cords
In February 2011, CPSC issued a safety alert warning consumers that industry-wide there had been seven reports of strangulation in baby monitor cords since 2002. Since that alert, the number of death reports has risen to eight of which two involved the Angelcare monitors with sensor cords. CPSC has a safety alert Infants Can Strangle in Baby Monitor Cords and conducted an information and education campaign with JPMA in which Angelcare has taken an active role to raise awareness on the hazards associated with baby monitor cords. Parents and caregivers should visit CPSC’s Crib Information Center at www.cpsc.gov/cribs for additional baby monitor cord safety information and they should make sure all cords are out of arm’s reach of children.